notrabidsalmon asked: Hey girl! I saw your post about your IUD. I'm getting my mirena tomorrow, and I was just wondering if you had any advice or anything I should know before my appointment. Thanks!! :D
hey! I’m sorry this is coming so late!
So I’m not sure of the specifics of your particular insertation so I’ll just go through mine.
First of all they gave me a prescription for vicodin that I was supposed to fill before the insertation and they told me to take before. I didn’t do that. So I highly suggest taking either ibuprofen or some other form of pain medication. Also my doctor numbed my cervix with novacain before insertation so I’m not sure exactly what your doctor will do.
So the only advice I’d have would be:
- sleep well the night before. Ironic considering when I’m posting this so late and you might already be asleep/need to be up to read this. I’m quite sorry.
- eat a small meal before so you’re not going on an empty stomach
- biggest thing is to definitely relax. The doctor is going to need to dilate your cervix and all that fun jazz which will be much easier if you’re as relaxed as possible. Difficult to say but still important. My doctor did a good job of blending the perfect amount of small talk with explaining what she was doing.
- have someone else to give you a ride home! I walked home and like barely made the 7 minute walk without feeling queasy.
- Then JUST WAIT. I’ve heard some people say that they didn’t have a bad insertation day but mine was horrible. I was writhing on my bed and made myself completely paranoid with worry.
(I also have never had period cramps before though. So I was probably being a big baby about it.)
- After a 4 hour nap I was perfectly fine though. Your body is just reacting to having something foreign inserted into it. It definitely sucked but I never had pain like that again.
- Except for a tiny bit of pain randomly for like only 15 minutes every couple of days for about 4 months. But nothing terrible in any way.
Good luck with your insertation! I love my IUD and I hope you have a good experience as well :)